The new year is right around the corner and that means that many people are turning their thoughts to plans, aspirations, and goals that they want to pursue. The new year is a fresh beginning, a chance to feel as though you are starting over and getting a chance to work toward a better lifestyle and quality of life.
If you are like many family caregivers, one of the goals that you are likely to have is helping your parent to eat a healthier diet. Eating well is an important step toward achieving and maintaining better health and well-being as your elder parent ages in place by supporting their management of their health challenges and issues as well as helping to reduce the risk of developing many of them.
Use these tips to help set your elder up for healthy eating in the new year:
- Clean out their refrigerator and get a fresh start. Discard the food inside and clean it thoroughly before stocking it with a variety of fresh, healthy, satisfying foods for your parent.
- Fill their pantry with healthy staples such as whole grains, canned fruits and vegetables, nuts, and other foods that can be turned into healthy snacks and meals.
- Stock their freezer with individual portions of balanced meals that they can easily warm up and enjoy. Label each with what the food is, when it was made, instructions for how to prepare it, and even suggestions for what to serve along with it.
- Gift them a membership to a healthy meal or produce delivery service. These ensure that there will be healthy, delicious meals and snacks available consistently.
Starting elder care can be one of the best decisions that you can make for your aging loved one during the course of your caregiver journey with them. An elder home care services provider can be with your aging parent on a fully customized schedule to ensure that they have continued access to the care, assistance, support, and companionship that they need to manage their individual needs.
Not only will this highly personalized care help your parent to address their challenges and limitations in a way that is right for them, but will also encourage your parent to live the lifestyle that is as independent, active, and fulfilling as possible as they age in place. As a family caregiver, this will give you peace of mind knowing that your parent is getting everything that they need to live their highest quality of life both when you are able to be with them and when you are not.
If you or an aging loved one are considering Elder Care Services near Paridise PA, contact the caring staff at Extended Family Care of Lancaster. Call today at (717) 205-2174.
A long-time resident of Lancaster County, Mary Lynne enjoys spending time with her husband Terry, and their 3 horses and collies. The countless hours of caring for her client and employee-based “family” at work and at home can truly depict the selfless character of Mary Lynne Heller. Mary Lynne is a Google Verified Author
Latest posts by Mary Lynne Heller (see all)
- Managing Appetite Loss from Cancer Treatment - March 13, 2019
- Four Things to Keep Handy When You’re a Medical POA - February 21, 2019
- Does Your Elderly Relative Fail at Daily Activities? - January 31, 2019